Pre-Operative Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation Instructions
Please follow these instructions to ensure that your surgery runs as smoothly as possible.
- Nothing to eat or drink (including water) for 6 hours prior to your appointment except your daily medications as instructed (including allergy medication) to take with a small sip of water.
- No smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- MANDATORY to have a responsible adult driver that must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the entirety of the procedure, and drive the patient home to assist in post-operative care. All patients under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
- IMPORTANT: All patients under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at EVERY visit.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with short sleeves and flat shoes. No high heels please.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup.
- Remove all nail polish on fingernails.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or upset bowels, please notify the office immediately and within 3 days of your scheduled surgery.
- Fill your prescriptions BEFORE your scheduled surgery date.
- If prescribed, bring your inhaler with you to your surgical appointment.
- Please limit the number of people that accompany the driver and patient on the day of surgery.
- Have a supply of soft foods at home that are ready to eat (oatmeal, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, soups, pudding, jello, ice-cream, etc.)
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with Dr. German prior to your surgical date for instructions.
- The use of cell phones/smart phones within the office is strictly prohibited. Taking video, audio, or pictures of yourself or others prior, during or after surgery while in the office is prohibited.
- IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO KEEP THE SURGERY APPOINTMENT SCHEDULED, PLEASE GIVE THE OFFICE 72 HOURS ADVANCED NOTICE OTHERWISE A LATE CANCELLATION FEE MAY BE ACCESSED.